Friday, April 20, 2012

Tale of the Gloves

     The guest room in Miss Virginia is pink and is very much a "girly" room.  One of the items in the room is a pair of little girl gloves that belonged to me as a child.  Some years ago, the gloves disappeared.  As David likes to play jokes sometimes, I asked if he had hidden them, but he said no.  So, the wheels in my brain began to turn .There was a memory of a little girl going to the bathroom and being gone too long.  My suspicion was that she had taken them but there was no way to know.
     As it was near recital time, at her next lesson we discussed the recital.  The child told me that she had some gloves she wanted to wear to the recital.  Well, needless to say, my ears shot straight up and I asked her about her gloves.  She described them as black and very long.  Well, my gloves were white and short so I thought that was the end of that.  As one can not play piano well in gloves, I told her that she could wear them to the recital but would need to remove them to play.  She seemed fine with that.
     Not long after that, I received a call from the girl's mother and she wanted to know about the gloves.  Again, my ears shot straight up and I asked her what she meant.  It seems the girl went home with a pair of gloves like the ones missing from the guest room.  She told her mother that they were for the recital and that her mother should send $10 for them.  So, I told the mother that there was a pair missing like those she described but they had nothing to do with the recital.  Then she realized the child had taken the gloves and was justifying it by having her mother send money. At the recital, the child returned my gloves and apologized.  Ever since then, the gloves have not left the pink guest room.

No comments:

Post a Comment